Breaking

Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Olori Chanel Chin, the estranged wife of Oluwo of Iwo, said something that I find very interesting.

Olori Chanel Chin, the estranged wife of Oluwo of Iwo, said something that I find very interesting.

Hear her: “4 years ago, I came to Yorubaland on vacation with my friends. I was very excited, thinking I’d get to experience some authentic African culture. But I was disappointed! Don’t get me wrong, the culture is there if you know where to look. But some of the Oba, who are supposed to be the custodians of Yoruba culture and tradition, don’t know what they’re doing...Look at Oluwo, my estranged husband, for example, one minute he’s walking around the palace, calling himself an Emir; the other minute he wants to be addressed as an emperor...I’d argued with him, several times, over this strange behavior. I understand he’s a Muslim, but the throne that he heads is a traditional Yoruba throne. So, I’d think, as a Yoruba Oba, he’d respect the throne and uphold the Yoruba culture and tradition. I can’t say much, you know, because according to him, I’m from Canada; I don’t know anything! Let me ask you this: have you ever seen an Emir from the North, wearing Ofi and calling himself an Oba?”

Chanel has only been in Yoruba country for 4 years, but she seems to have more sense than some of the so-called custodians of Yoruba tradition. Again, the Oba is a traditional title. If your religious worldview is incongruent to Yoruba tradition, then stay away from the traditional throne. You can be an Imam or a pastor, instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages